Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Dream Within A Dream by Edgar Allan Poe

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow--
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.
I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand--
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,While I weep--
while I weep!O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?



the author,Edgar Allan Poe used Hypebole which is used in the repetition of "O God!" and "weep" exaggerating.He also used personification on the "golden sand" as they "creep"


I like this Poem because...
I simply love the author, Edgar Allan Poe's grotesque yet fasinating and exciting short stories so i decided that this poem was going t be excitng as well.And I like the catch phrase"dream within a dream" it sounds mysterious.The way this poem is wrote,him questions his ability also gives you a sense of helplessness.The first few verses also gives the feeling of his death.All in all,this poem is mysterious yet exciting in a way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home